Heartburn and Reflux
Coping With Heartburn and Reflux
If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from heartburn, the most common symptom of reflux, there are things you can do to improve your lifestyle and your health.
- Avoid spicy, acidic, tomato-based or fatty foods like chocolate,tomatoes, citrus fruits and juices.
- Don’t exercise too soon after eating.
- Limit you intake of coffee, tea, alcohol and colas
- Watch your weight. (Being overweight increases the intra-abdominal pressure, which can aggravate reflux.
- Have meals at least 3-4 hours before lying down.
- Stop (or at least reduce) smoking.
- Don’t gorge yourself at mealtime
- Elevate the head of your bed.
*** See your doctor if you are taking antacids three or more times a week.